Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Beats Hamburger Helper

So recently I was in a bind for dinner and I had to make something quick. Unfortunately I made Hamburger Helper. This is something I rarely make and what's worse is admitting I actually fed it to my poor family. To no surprise I was hugely disappointed and could barely stomach one helping before I went for a snack in the fridge. (keep in mind I am pregnant so that may have had something to do with it)

Later I got to thinking what a simple idea hamburger helper is and how easy it would be to make up my own home made version. This would insure a taste far better than anything that came out of a box. Then I remembered a skillet dinner my Mom made for us growing up. It's simple, delicious and most of the ingredients are staples you probably already have on hand. We call it Sausage Noodle Skillet and trust me it's a good one. It's almost lasagna like but much simpler and it's one the kids will eat too :) Hope you enjoy!


1/2 lb ground sausage

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce

15 0z water, just use tomato sauce can

1/4 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon sugar

salt and pepper to taste

Sour cream, for garnish

Brown sausage over medium high heat in a large skillet with a tight fitting lid. Drain grease and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer and stir occasionally until the sauce is thick and the pasta is tender. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top for a creamy tomato sauce.

You may add water 1/2 cup at a time if the pasta isn't cooked and it seems the sauce is becoming too thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment